Which bulbs to buy? The short answer is: it depends on what result you want to achieve. So what are your aims? A dramatic garden? Lots of bulbs for very little money? Fragrant bulbs? You decide.
The following is a checklist; make a note of each characteristic that appeals/applies to you, and then follow the link.
- CHEAP/INEXPENSIVE BULBS: you want lots of flowers for a small outlay of cash
- FRAGRANT FLOWERS: you want flowers with a wonderful scent
- DRAMATIC FLOWERS: you want flowers that are bold, vibrant, and make a statement
- RELIABLE PLANTS: you want something that is easy to take care of, that you can "plant and forget"
- UNUSUAL FLOWERS: you want something out of the ordinary, something that isn't in everyone's spring garden
- SHADE LOVING: you need something that grows well in shade
- WINDY AREA: you live at the top of a hill or on a prairie and need something that stands up well to wind
- CLIMATE APPROPRIATE: you want something that will flourish in your particular climate
- DEER RESISTANT: you want something that deer won't nibble on
- PERENNIAL PLANTS: you want flowers that come back year after year
- CERTAIN HEIGHT: you want to know how tall or short the flower will be
- CERTAIN TIME: you want to know when the flower will bloom: early spring, mid-spring, or late spring
- CERTAIN COLOUR: you want certain specific colours: reds, blues, purples, yellows, etc.
WHERE TO BUY: suggestions as to where to buy your spring-flowering bulbs
Top of Page
Planting Menu | List of Bulbs | Introductory Page
Page created and maintained by A. Steinbergs
Last modified: October 15, 2008